Entry Requirements for Schools/Colleges
PDF Print E-mail
Written by Administrator   
Sunday, 28 March 2010 03:27

What Qualifications you need to study and work in UK

 The English Requirements

You will need some English language ability. This is normally measured by the IELTS test, and there are various requirements for the different Courses (set by the Colleges) and Jobs (set by the employers) in the UK. Since March 2010 the IELTS level needed for the Viisa to come as a 'General Student' for more than 6 months was increased to IELTS 4 (actually 3.5 to 4.5), which is NQF entry level 3 or CEF-R (Common European Framework of Reference) level B1 and about a TOEFL score of 435 or more.

The Student Visitor Visa, really like a normal Visit Visa. For this you need a definite Offer Letter from the approved (BAC, UKBA etc) School/College to say you have definitely been accepted by them on a short course but you do not need any IELTS qualification for the Visa or IOM certificate. The only institutions now allowed to issue these Offer letters MUST be UKBA licenced and/or registered, for example with the BAC (British  Accreditation Council) for Schools. But not all schools/colleges will accept you on this visa- and it is only for short courses, for example a short EFL course!

 Academic Requirements

For entry to the Schools/Colleges they normally ask for 5 (or sometimes 6) GCSE qualifications with at least Grade C, for the normal A-level course and a good level of English.

 Entry to Foundation courses is usually the same, for the Colleges that offer such courses. The English requirement for these courses is normally at about an IELTS score of 5.0 (or sometimes 4.5).

 The schools/colleges offering pre-Masters courses also normally require an IELTS score of at least 5.0 (or 5.5) for entry to this course, as well as a good Degree (GPA above 2.5 or normally above 3).

Note that the English requirement for Foundation can sometimes be a little lower if an EFL course is also taken, for example at Bellerbys with their Extended Foundation Course (IELTS 4.5). This is especially true for the Universities that offer these courses, sometimes being IELTS 4.5 or even 4.0 (see the University Entry Requirements and Information Menu).

Note that for entry to University at the end of these courses you will normally need English and Maths GCSEs or equivalent (for example M6 etc.).


Last Updated on Saturday, 08 May 2010 16:03